I asked L if he would write on this blog. Please?
He said, what will he write?
"Hi. Hello."
Haha. It looks like it's going to be just another solo flight on exercising my creative side.
****
The regimen consists of 2x a week training with Tan of Valencia Badminton center, and games on Wednesdays and Sundays with Team Galaxians. During my one on one trainings with Tan, I ask him to make me run, lose weight and improve my game. I get reprimanded a lot because it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks--but he hasn't given up on me. "Nag-iimprove si Inday," he just told me the other day. But I am no ninja and can not do a jump shot. One day, when I am ready, he will teach me the cross court side drops.
On Wednesdays we play from 8 PM- 11 or 12 at Valencia, while on Sundays we play at Club 650 from 10:30 til about 1:30PM. The group I play with are the nicest people, and we are constantly trying to improve our game and even join in dual meets. There's another one against URC on Feb 7, that's why Mike is playing again in Valencia. (By the way, Team Galaxians won this tourney, so Mike and I have gold medals woohoo!)
****
So anyway, today I tried another routine. My high school friend Divine introduced me to her best friend's hubby who is a certified boxing instructor. Rod is around 6 feet tall, I think, and his story is inspiring because he used to weigh over 200 lbs and lost more than 50 lbs by studying and sticking to boxing. I saw his picture, and couldn't believe the before and after shots. He said he started with a treadmill, and one kind New Zealander would watch him daily while he struggled at the gym while she munched on her lunch and hovered over him. She made sure he got started on a program. After losing weight, Rod enrolled in a certification program ans is now back in the Philippines, serving clients for personalized training based on his or her goal.
Before we started I was supposed to fill up a sheet that had these questions:
What are your goals? : To look leaner for my wedding
Why do you want to achieve that goal: Because Pat Dy is my photographer and pictures last forever!
When do you want to achieve that goal: Before April 30, 2010
What areas would you like to focus on: Arms and tummy
How would you feel if you achieve that goal: "May K na ako mag-gown, and people won't say, "wow legs!"
How would you feel if we don't achieve your goal: Think positively. Yes, we can!
Can I just tell you how difficult our training is? First, we'd do warm up by climbing 8 flights of stairs. And that is just the beginning. He would make me inhale and exhale and launch into another exercise. This time to climb up and down the (high) flowerpot at the roofdeck, in about 3 minutes or so. Just when my heart seems to pound so fast I can hear blood gushing out of it, he asks me to breathe in and out, and we proceed with 5 sets of boxing combinations, in slow and fast pace, and in no certain order of combinations. We'd do jabs, cross, left hook, right hook, right upper cut, left upper cut, in several repetitions, and with different resistance and pace. In between we do lunges, running and lifting of the entire body through the legs. At first I couldn't lift my left arm, but gradually I was able to make its muscles work, but boy, do they burn, baby, burn!
At the end of each session, he makes me do crunches, planks, oblique bends, and alternate leg lifting before he stretches me out, and massages my back. Each day I try my best, and each time I do, he pushes me more.
One time Charissa was here when I was doing my planks, and she asked me out loud," Ate Armi, why are you doing that to yourself?"
I remind her not to gain weight while she's young, and to me the answer was obvious: Why do something you don't like doing? I put health as a key objective in my life - so there you go.
****
Post script:
Tan changed my training on Saturdays and turned it into circuit training, which is running around the court, memorizing the footwork for each badminton stroke but without the racket. I move around 12 missing pieces of shuttlecock around the court (like filling in the blanks), until I have covered all sides. I do this in reps. And this is just a warm-up.
He makes me improve my stroke by simulating running to and from the net, and throwing the shuttle over to the other side of the court--before I do a push-up and then lay on my back, only to repeat the same thing for a set of 8 shuttlecocks, and again in 3 repetitions.
When he sees I'm almost ready to give up, panting, screaming and slowing down, he would shout out:
"Papayat o hindi?"
And you knowing me, would know my response to that.
Comments
April Garcia on Jan 27, 2010
I have a perfect suggestion. On your day do push-ups. Yes, ate arms, PUSH UPS!! as madami as you can! :) Korina did it, ang ganda ng outcome sa body niya. hehehe :) and btw, less rice.. hehehehe love,bebe
tan on Feb 3, 2010
hehehehe meganun...aside badminton my boxing na si tita...hehehehe papayat bah talaga yan or practice incase nag away kau ni sir??????heheheh joke lang.....
wow grabeh na talaga ang preparation ni INDAY...hehe basta tita im here willing to help you to get into shape...pero tita pwede balik tau tth kasi im back to training kasi hinahanap na ako ni coaCH...hehehehehe
<<<
Armi Andrade on Feb 3, 2010
hoy ang gwapo mo sa picture pero ang kulit mo sa totoong buhay. sige back to T-Th for your training.
r o h a n on Apr 9, 2010
hehehe...."papayat o hindi"!! hahaha magpagawa kaya tayo ng t-shirt nyan! or i-print sa likod ng Galaxian uniform hehe
Armi on Apr 12, 2010
bwahahahaa
No comments:
Post a Comment