Posted on Mar 12, 2010 12:09 AM
Retchel, Debbie Co-Teng's assistant, points out to me my wedding dress, which simply hangs on the wall hook, along with my Mama's gown. I stared at it, and it looked flat, even wide. It was too simple. I brushed the idea aside, and focused on my mother's jersey gown. She has thinner arms than me, but her puson is big, and then magically disappears when a 2-inch band is pulled around her waist. This is her most formal dress, no, scratch that, her most formal event, and I wanted her to look like the mother of the bride. You know- gorgeous, happy, elegant and age appropriate. My mother would typically not raise concerns over a dress, or make a fuss out of say, a blotched hair coloring job, so I told Debbie's girls to make sure they check her fit properly because otherwise she would just say ok. My mother is like that. So of course, she deserves the best.
It was so easy to dress her up, according to Debbie, and she knew right away what style would fit her. So after adjusting the hem, and the waistline, we move on to L's mom, whom I now call Mama (but I'm thinking of naming her another one because I've only had one mama for the longest time). This trip, by the way, is a girl thing, and I suddenly missed my sister, and my BFFs. Well, my sister, not so much, actually because her 5-year old daughter strolled around Debbie Co's atelier like she does it everyday,and points at a red ruffle long gown Mai Kaufmann modeled for Debbie at a Pond's event. "I want to wear that, Tita Armi". I am flabbergasted. How can she point out to what I think is the most expensive piece in the house? So anyway, it was L's mom's turn and instantly I love the nude color on her, and the flowy drapes around the sides, the off shoulder design that will be accented by the same beads that will be in mama's waistband. I realized it was harmonious with my gown, and I looked back at it, but it still wasn't telling me, "LOVE!".
I began to think of Cielo, my maid of honor, who is supposed to be here with me at this very moment. A dress! I seldom wear a dress, and I've never owned a long gown in my entire life. Yep, true story. And then suddenly, flashes of BFF-S's warnings were reverberating: " It doesn't matter who the designer is, the key is for her to know what will suit you, your color, height, body type, skin tone. The best way for you to find that out is try on gown after gown and see what fits you best. You have to look leaner and longer! I've seen a lot of brides in my life that made me want to say,"What were you thinking?"" He emails me this while he is in France, and I am a little pissed because (1) I think I know what suits me or not, but ok, maybe not all the time (2) I trust my designer, so why won't he? (3) I picked Debbie because I love her style, and (4) It's my wedding, and my gown, wtf! (kidding).
Anyway, I cut him off from any news about wedding gowns or dresses,or the entourage outfit because he can be so cruel and so kuripot. I actually sometimes need both. Which brings me back to this moment, when there I was- alone in the room, getting out of my jeans and into my gown. What was I expecting? An entourage? An audience? Relaxing music, a soft couch, and maybe a glass of champagne? I quickly snap out of it and try on the dress.
WOW.
This is so me. Simple, classic, elegant, flowy. Beach appropriate, and appropriate for my personality. Debbie comes to check me out, and we agree on thinner straps, lower V-neckline for the front and back, and a small train behind the back of my dress. The dress is unfinished because silver beadwork would be applied on the waistband to also help accentuate my waist,
Overall, I loved it. I took photos of course, but will not be revealing the design until D-DAY.
Picure at the front, turn right, show the back, and another turn. Shocks, those arms need an emergency lipo-cedure;
I MMS the pics to the 2 BFFs and they love it too. Cielo said I looked leaner and she was sure I am going to be a gorgeous bride (that's hard because these girls, my girls, are gorgeous. The other BBF had something to say, but describes the gown has, what he calls "big potential."
I wanted to show this to Dylan of Vatel Manila so he can think about the right flower bouquet for me.
I keep my final judgenent til the next time, but can i just say this:
":EyeLoVe it!
No comments:
Post a Comment