
The Proposal, as told by Christine
Niño played as a lead guitarist in a band that played reggae and I clapped and screamed everytime they performed. The girls and wives were collectively called "LaCucaRasta Auxilliary Band".
And so...LaCucaRasta was playing that Saturday night at Bistro 110 along C. Palanca Street in Makati. Niño picked me up from home and we went straight to the venue , saw his sister, his cousins, and our battalion of friends. I was glad that the auxilliary band got bigger that night. In fact the place was packed with friends!
Around 12 midnight, the start of the 2nd set, Niño handed over a card to me before he went on stage. And he told me to read it while he played. I knew that this was an "Im Sorry" card because of a previous misunderstanding. Niño was always sweet and he didnt need a card to say sorry.
"Glam-rock, glam-rock, glam-rock!!!" was echoing in the bar -the crowd asking for an encore. LaCuca gave in to our chanting and Niño struck the first notes that brought back memories of Tesla and Skid Row. I only realized that this was no "I'll be there for you" song when our Bubut, forced me to open the card and read it to the end. "Marry me.." . I could've died at that moment. And when I looked up from the card I was nervously holding, I was blinded by celfone camera flashes but I saw Niño looking at me and I immediately made a mental note to still look pretty even though I was crying (because everywhere I looked, the girls were crying or getting teary eyed!).
After he played and sang his proposal song, he went to me, but before that, he tripped on his cords. I think sobrang kaba. Then he knelt on his knee (im not sure now which knee :) and showed me this sparkling thing which would end up on my left ring finger.
After all the congratulations from all the people at the bar, we headed to another bar to watch another band play. Niño, still in awe from what he just did, played and sang on stage to relive tension. If I remember correctly, it was a song by Smashing Pumpkins - "Cherub Rock" .
And now, God is finally allowing us to get married. :)
The Lyric Sheet
We can go away
To a place that I know
It's not so far away
Put your hand in mine
And together we will find
A life that's yours and mine
We can change the odds and make it work
Without much compromise
As long as we agree to keep things right
And hang on tight
Yes I've made mistakes
And it comes as no surprise
That I've finally realized
I wanna go home to you
Every day and every night
And wake up in bed with you
Life is short and we both know
That our time has come at last
This time I won't let time go by too fast
We can change the odds and make it work
Without much compromise
In the eyes of God, you know we'll be alright
We'll be alright
We can go away
Hand in hand we'll work out fine
In a life that's yours and mine
And so now, I ask you
Come with me
Marry me.
Now that, is what I call, a proposal. Even if it took them two years to finally wed, I am happy their story has a happy ending.
No comments:
Post a Comment