
I imagine we're sipping coffee,lounging on a sofa at some obscure yet cozy cafe, like the one in Fairview (Read and Brew), ok let's aim for something grander- like the coffee shop at St. Regis Hotel in New York. Not that she lives in Fairview, or is anywhere near New York, because right now she is in Kuala Lumpur, newly ensconced in her new apartment, one that she's excited for me to see when I go there to visit.

A: "So.., " I begin to chatter her up, "does the birthday blues get to you too?"
I: " Ewan ko ba..I'm tired of thinking and praying and hoping, and getting excited and being so bored..I don't think it's just a birthday thing.."
A: "But everybody goes through that phase..It's just a phase.. You know, there are so many things to be thankful for. For one, I think you're one of the people I know who has the most number of friends. People are drawn to you.."
I: "Hindi naman. Ikaw din naman you have so many friends.."
A: "No. I only keep a few and that's deliberate. Quality over quantity. But you, I'm surprised because you have so many- and they truly cherish you. But of course I know why- you have a very generous nature and you're so much fun to be with."
I: "Uy, tama na..natatawa ako sa yo eh."
A: "Di bale, I'll send you an e-card on your birthday." (referring to the e-card she sent me on my birthday)
I: (laughs hysterically) "Ang sama mo! "
A: "Duh. It requires clicking on a link!Too much effort for the celebrant."
I: "That's going to be my last e-card. Hahaha."
A:"So, how's The One,after your Europe trip? (God, if she weren't my friend I'll kill her for having realized this dream trip of a lifetime.)


I:"I don't think he's The One anymore, he's so slow. Just texts, and he tells me he prays for my IT projects to go smoothly and on time.. I mean, hello!, how's that for personal?"
A: (Now it's my time to laugh hysterically). "Really? He is such a geek. But he's cute. But if he's slow, neeeexxxttt!"
I:"Hay..did you know I went on a blind date here in Malaysia? It looks promising but how can anything come out of that- he lives in Manila and I'm based in K.L."
We talk some more about boys, our families, work and our future plans. When I'm with her,time passes by so quickly, and I'm sorry, but my laughter erupts suddenly, unlike C who's so sosyal she laughs with just a smile and nary a sound. Sometimes my belly knots in pain from laughing; I swear it's almost as if I did some crunches, and my eyes well up in tears from laughing so hard.

Yet I remember, vividly recall calling her many times in the middle of the night, crying my heart out, asking her to help me stop crying. But she ends up crying with me, and that tears up my heart all the more. Because I did not want the people closest to me to suffer. But she knew how IT felt, and could only be there for me to tell me "..kaya mo ito. Kakayanin mo ito. You've made so much progress. Take it one day at a time. And we, your friends, we are here for you."
It's not just the words (she's good at sorting your thoughts out), but her whole life- her family are an inspiration. To me and to others. You see Ime, the meaning of success is having the most important people in our lives love and respect us. So many people love and respect you.
I wish I can say that to you personally, instead of imagining we're having this conversation, while really I'm penning this (longhand ha!) while seated at the throne, and you're more than a thousand miles away.
Happy birthday Ime. See you at the end of the month.
No comments:
Post a Comment