Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The CDO Travel Diary

8:18 AM. Am already at the Centennial airport,waiting for my colleagues, and I remember this nice,exciting feeling about airports. It's like being greeted by an old friend, there's familiarity to the place and you know something good will come out of this experience. I don't know what's in store this time, but i mentally noted that the journey has already started.

8:30 People watching: backpackers, well-travelled, well-heeled ones, people just going home to their province, a mix of caucasians and balikbayans, different dialects,different luggages. There's a story from each person passing before me, I imagine a story unfolding right before my eyes..

9:30 I have no idea where Cagayan De Oro is, and what to find in this province, all i know is I packed my bags and am ready to see a pineapple plantation. They laugh at me because they said they were planning to go to SM and I said no way, so we begin to map out our itinerary. I almost jump for joy when I hear about white water rafting, horseback riding, target shooting, and a trip to Macahambus Adventure Park-- a walk in the skybridge, rappeling and a 14-second zipline ride. Our host is excited for us to meet Charlie, a gwaping, single 33 year-old distributor and his family. I can hear the longing in Angge's voice, the way she described him, like she wanted a bite out of a dark moist chocolate cake.



I pace myself because I really didn't have any expectation, and that is the best way to approach adventures, with just the right dose of enthusiasm, enough to get lucky, but not pinning your hope on anything. I wanted to do the zipline, because that's something new, but more than anything, 'twas the bukidon sights I wanted to see. Just being 2000 above sea level, communing with nature, in a lodge once occupied by Gen, Douglas Mc Arthur, surrounded by nature. Maybe I'll get some zzzs this time.

11:08 We land at Northern Mindanao, after just an hour of flight from Paranaque, and get welcome drinks (what else- Del Monte fruit juices) at the airport, also greeted by folk dancers garbed in muslim costume (think singkil).



Lunch at Cafe Laguna for some good old kare-kare, baked tahong, eggplant salada and sinigang na sugpo.



1 pm: We have cake and coffee at Candy's bar and cafe. Charlie walks in, with highlights and a single leftover braided hair from his former long locks. He is very carinoso, has warm brown eyes, pink luscious lips, strong hands, and a Visayan accent. He is an eye candy, and I wonder why I am not attracted to these types. Why do I always fall for the bad boy type?



3pm: We head for the caves,but the rain starts to pour and we make a u-turn because nobody would put us on a harness with the heavy downpour and fog. Oh well, see what I said about expectations? It's a very conducive weather for you know what..sleeping.

4 PM: On the van, we already completed our business review and concluded that we have to shorten our discussion tomorrow so we can do more sight-seeing. The official purpose of the trip is a business review with Del Monte, and a plant audit. My role is to establish our next business opportunities and get them to agree to a win-win situation. I get many inside stories, and eventually I found myself dozing off after our very interesting business building strategies. Do you know that strategies are formed in hallways, smoke exits, and during van rides? Yep. After an hour, we reach the Stoneware Pottery, and I buy stuff for aromatherapy and a perfect potpourri set for my bathroom.



5-7pm: We were making up the itinerary as the day wore on, dynamically changing due to the weather and we decide to hit La Cabana spa for shower, sauna and swedish massage before dinner.

7pm: Dinner with the Lapid family at Kamag-ayonan. crab, sisig, kilawin, pandan chicken, langka shake,

10:30 pm Dessert at Candy's Bar, again with the Lapid family. We spend over 2 hours on dessert, talking, laughing, just like reconnecting with your own family when you go to the province. The family is down to earth, charming, and has good genes, thanks to Mommy. Sam Milby drops by and he looked gorgeous. Mariel and I eat a yummy cake with ice cream and nuts inside the dome-shaped treat.



11:17pm :We reach The Lodge at Bukidnon, and am ready to turn in.

12:02: I hear birds chirping. A new day has already began.

No comments: