
The foyer greets the guests with an oil painting of the lady of the house; she sits with her head tilted to the side, and shows off her slim figure and amiable face. Art and painting are on the walls, on the coffee table, by the window, with its own painting stand, on the side tables, in the restroom.
The vastness of the room seemed too big for a couple, but they are not just your ordinary couple- she works as an expat at ADB, he is a member of the YPO (Young Presidents Organization). They belong to the old rich clans of this country, and I was one of their guests. Everyone points me to the wedding book, it was April 7 in 2006, and I was the only one who has not seen it yet, and they were all chattering, telling me, "Dapat ganyan...", and I heard someone say, " Si Armi susunod..ganyan photos mo dapat..". And I tell everyone, " Shut up!", in that exasperated but funny tone and everyone erupts in laughter. There were follow up questions, if I was dating, who I was dating, and if it was true I had dinner with this guy they know, and if I was really, really seeing him. These were guys asking, guys who were married, and who had kids. I told them I was going to try speed dating on August 25 , and apparently everyone's curiosity got piqued and there were more questions raised. I laughed as everyone gathered around at the coffee table, sat down at the comfy couch, the chaise lounge and stand alone cushions. All eyes were on me- and I was peppered with more questions. How is it like? Where do they do it? What are the rules? Will you get the numbers of only the ones who are matched with you? Is it really true that they only allot 5 minutes per person? I seem to be the life of the party, and I reminded them, "Hello! You are all married, but your eyes are twinkling with excitement!"
Later on, as we partake of Conti's Mango Bravo and a very decadent chocolate cake while having coffee and blueberry tea, engaged in quiet conversations, girls with the girls, men with all the other men, it almost seemed like a soiree for 30s and up. I told them it (speed dating event) is actually similar to this, except the age range ends at 35. They still laugh at the idea, thinking how fun, what fun that would be, for 40s and up- "chicken" and those "left behind". And of course, my 46-year year old boss, who is really very young at heart (and is separated) says that although he'd like this speed dating thing, he saw the Japanese version. It's a speed f_kng thing.
And with that we decided to end the night, a rather good night in spite of the storm, with a welcome dinner at Abe's in Serendra and dessert at our CEO's cool, very pricey, very exclusive digs.
No comments:
Post a Comment