Friday, June 15, 2007

My Two Cents.. on Sports Supremacy

After so many years of my tushy being idle, I vowed to be more active this year with my quest for sports supremacy. (Ok, that's so not me, I sounded just a little OTT- over the top). Here is my two cents' worth of opinion on the matter:

1. Showing up is the first and most crucial decision to make.
When I was enrolled at the Discovery Suites, I found so many reasons not to go to the gym- it was a little far; inconvenient; i had no parking; out of the way, etc. Now that our gym membership is at Gold's Gym Galeria, yeah, I still came up with a number of excuses. Finally I just asked myself if I wanted to go, I went; if I didn't want to, I didn't.

2. Alternate activities. I started going to the gym 2 years ago and I only attended aero, martial arts and cardio classes. This year, I attended the spinning classes of David (love the challenge), toning classes with Connie, belly dancing, cardio martial arts with John, taekwondo classes, hi-lo. I also began to do ellipticals and now I am doing treadmills for 1 hour. My goal is to increase calorie burning to 500 calories per session- this is the easiest way to lose fat faster. Did I say easy? Burn, baby, burn!

3. Find your ideal workout time. I used to go after work, but since I am a morning person, I tried going to the gym at around 6:45 AM. It is working out so far, since I am now into my 3rd week of going there in the morning on weekdays.

4. Relax on weekends. I do not pressure myself to go on weekends, but to compensate for my relaxed eating habit on weekends, knowing I had to burn it off harder the following week, I started going on weekends too, at odd hours, mostly before hearing mass at Edsa shrine. The key I think, is balance. I like indulging, but once I started burning 400 calories, I knew how difficult it was. That's why , I think, it is called "working" out.

5. Discover new activities. I also tried badminton, and found out this makes me sweat easily, and that as a competitive person, its rudiments works out well for me. I try to improve, and push myself to the limit; even if I'm a class F player. Ha-ha! My objective is to lose weight and stay active, not to become a professional!

6. Have fun! Just like eating where we try out new dishes and restaurants to enhance an experience, so should it be in our choice of activities. I am going to go back to yoga next month, and then maybe try some other sports in the future. Hopefully, one that would not require too much investment. Whew! It can be costly. So anything that involves a yoga mat, swimsuits, indoor and outdoor rubber shoes, climalite shirts and pants, I will be fine. Although I was thinking of camping last night....

No comments: