Thursday, June 07, 2007

Here Comes The Rain Again

Melancholy always sets in when rain starts to fall. It signals the end to the carefree summer days. 'Tis a relief from the unbearable heat, yet a smattering dose of rain kind of "rains" on everyone's parade. Summer is the season of love, of getting away with bikini and short shorts, an escape to the humdrum of life. It speaks of youth, of yesteryears, of the good old days- the best years of our lives.

I hear the rain outside, and as midnight comes closing in, I think of my youth. I see pictures and electronic images of my past come flashing by. I think of Jie Fun, the ancient town in Taipei, where I learned the art of preparing and drinking tea.


Memories came rushing in as I walk its cobbled stones, and partake of their traditional food. It rained a bit that day, and my soul instantly, through my imagination, felt the connection of the past. I imagined living at the old times, walking this same path, partaking in the tea ceremony, and looking out the window, awaiting for him to come home before the night fell. I drown my worries in tea, sipping it one teacup at a time, keeping my hands steady, and my heart still.


I looked at the faces of my many friends; of happy days of summers spent at the beach. Driving through lazy towns of Batangas, Lipa, Zambales, I hear laughter from Buboy, Chichi, Mark and Cedric. These 16 year old boys, what do they know? As they slip into the darkness, swimming in the nude and dancing in front of the bonfire, I gaze at their exuberant faces, faces that had no worries about tomorrow. We would go back many times to that beach.

The rain won't let up, and memories come flooding in. I remember one summer love, whilst it was fleeting, it was very vivid, reminding me of butterflies in my stomach and cold, damp hands. I recalled an affair. I remembered the desire in the eyes, the look of desire that could tell a thousand words. Woe to those who can read what the lips don't say!

I remember the tender loving care, the music in my ears, the massage of my feet. I remember the softly spoken words, the sweet kisses on my face. I remember kindness, and warm embraces.

When I look back, I get to enjoy my life once again.
But I wish it would stop.
The rain.
The memories.

No comments: