Tuesday, June 12, 2007

How to Make New Friends... in Bangkok

I am not traditional in many ways, and can easily make friends when I choose to. One time I went on a trip to Bangkok for a seminar and registered on the first day. On the second day, I skipped the morning session and decided to do the day tour for a tour of the Grand Palace, the Emerald Buddha, plus pit stops to the jewelry and leather goods shops. As you can see, I was not able to come back for the afternoon session. Instead, I found myself surrounded by two old couples, standing amidst golden throne halls and phallic symbols.



******
At night, I hooked up with friends of a friend, whom I met at a local bar. As usual, they are Pinoy OFWs, mostly IT guys who have been in Bangkok for 6 months or so. I did not find it weird to hang out with them, total strangers, for they seeemed much like my college classmates at the faculty of engineering- the ones who taught me Pusoy Dos and made me see porno movies while we did our thesis. It was not surprising then that they brought me to Hollywood after having enough of the bar scene. Hollywood is disco/entertainment- complete with a stage full of 19 and below youngsters-girls and boys, who perform on stage in skimpy, yet wholesome outfits. Ok, not so wholesome, but it leaves something to the imagination as the girls gyrate to the beat and pump it up. Men just loved the sight of young women with flawless skin and pussycat shorts, complete with state of the art lights and sounds. I didn't notice it but we were dancing, getting wasted as the night wore on, as shot after shot of cocktails and tequila made me begin to think I was as thin as the Thai ladies onstage. At around 2 AM, one of the guys brought me home, and I almost puked on him. He brought me to my hotel room, and I was so naive not to think he'd want something something because he wanted to stay and make sure I was all right, but I still had enough sense to know that he was not my type, no can do.

*****
The night before I flew back to Manila, I met up with the Atenista who treated me to a dinner and accompanied me to the night market, not at Chatukak, or Ma Boon Krong, but to another one just at the outskirts of the city. We took the MRT, or Taxi, I don't recall, but at moment I wished I didn't have Toot Toot so I can kiss him. Instead, I contented myself with him shopping with me, ala boyfriend, scoping stall after stall of clothing, household needs, souvenirs, and other goods. We spent two hours poring over CDs, shoes,candles and he even helped me pick out shirts for my guy. Like the other guys, A was also in Thailand for a long-term assignment, and wanted me to extend my stay, at his unit. I didn't have enough gumption to take up his offer, although we have been flirting over the years, over many countries, but virtually just over YM. We had our moment, and (sadly) I was attached at that time, eventhough many friends say he is perfect for me, if only he were more mabait. Yeah, right.

*****
It is street by day, and entertainment by night. The Pepsi guys accompanied me to Patpong. We were curious to see the unique brand of entertainment there, but before we got to any of the open doors, I was besieged by barkers selling fake LV leather goods. So as usual, I was drawn to shopping, and before I knew it, this local was negotiating with me, because everytime he'd show the price and I'd walk away, he'd compute new figures with his calculator and then of course I'd say no ( I wasn't even interested in the fake goods because hello, greenhills!). Finally I said no, and what did the guy say to my face?
"F_ck u!"

Welcome to Patpong!

*****
Patpong's ladies are not attractive, the pretty ones are actually gayboys- they had a name for them, but at this moment I forget. Before John and I selected a bar, the curious me went to the flock of men to see what the fuss was all about. They all turned to look at me when I finally made it to the front- they were looking at a special "menu". A list of live shows to watch- from couples getting at it on a motorcyle, to man to man, girl to girl, man to boy, man to animal. I was out in a jiffy, and proceeded to the more standard offering.

****
We had center seats, and I remarked to John that they aren't so lovely, these bar girls, and how come she has puson. John told me their talent lies in other areas. As I sat there sipping my margarita, I wondered why I wasn't flustered when pins popped out of their v_g_nas, hitting the balloons situated right on top of me.

These are some of my memories of Bangkok. I bet it hasn't changed.

No comments: