Thursday, January 10, 2008

Blast From The Past



This early, I have been to two wakes and one reunion. Last night was both a reunion (again) with elementary classmates from the accelerated class of 1986 and a wake for my friend Tetch's dad, an artist who passed away at 65, before he could paint my portrait. This time, we managed to bring in two new (old) faces, Jen, an IT professional working at the Fort and Vicki, who is set to return today to Ireland where she works as a nurse. Again, we tried to remember our special class lineup, and I admitted that I still could not remember some of the names of my former classmates. We were just 29, this special class, plucked from the many regular classes of Manila's public schools, to be placed in an accelerated class with a special curriculum and a whole day of schooling. At lunchtime, I looked up at the photo I grabbed from Roel (from where else, Friendster), and I still could not place the names of some of my classmates. We were also unable to trace some of our classmates, but our get togethers are becoming bigger, and soon, we hope we can get in touch with all.

Ok, Raffy and Tetch, you have to help me name names here:

Top row: May* (Alan remembers her), Riel, Sharon*, Cecil (flight attendant), Amor*, Bernadette (nurse in London), Masherry*, Bernardo (Seaman)

3rd row: Vicki (nurse in Ireland), Jen (IT, Philippines), X1* (I don't know her!), me (hahaha), Tetch (Marketing Manager, Dubai), Y1* (don't know him!)

2nd row: Y2* (whos this guy?), Roel (dakilang guro, our e-group moderator ahem),Raffy (Big Boss, US), Marcus (nurse, US), Alan (engineer), Clarence (in the US)

Front row: Jennifer*, Annaliza, Zenaida, Mrs. Nakpil, Ms. Maranan (wonderful teachers), Joy* (tama ba?), Mel, Rhoda* (in Brunei)

*- without a trace


Do you know what we talk about when we meet up?

That we had a happy childhood!

1.Do you sing as a class when you pass your papers? Apparently, we did.
2.Do you sing as a class when you change subjects? Apparently, we did!
3.Climb Every Mountain, an inspirational song from an inspirational teacher, di ba Raffy?
4.We had an art class,and we did an exhibit at the Children's Library Museum.
5.The boys spent saturday swimming at the YMCA with our alternate teacher.
6.Did you have the best teachers? We certainly did!



Photo taken from our last reunion a year ago: Alan, me, Riel, Tetch, Roel, Cecil.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

X1 - Grace Alcantara
Y1 - Michael Arellano
Y2 - Rommel Ferril

Anonymous said...

FYI, Mrs. Nakpil passed away few years ago with cancer.
Pareho tayo, si Raffy ang naaalala sa Climb Every Mountain, well aside from Mr Vacio the teacher. Bakit nga ba?

CAO- Chef Azura othman said...

Its nice to get to see our old friends again , 10 years after leaving school I dont know where some of my friends are.

BTW ,I like reading your thoughts :)

Anonymous said...

Nakakalungkot naman mabalitaan na namatay na si Mrs. Nakpil. I remember her fondly. She was a political activist and that impressed me greatly. I recall her assignment to us to read the newspapers everyday and report back the next day whatever it is that we read about. She was anti-Marcos and regaled us stories about her and her husband's participation in the first EDSA revolution.

I think pinanuod natin sa bahay yung Sound of Music.

Anyways, Armi you said there's 29 of us. Twenty-six lang tayo sa picture. I can come up with two of the three missing - Tara S. and Leoncio A. Who's the third?

Manila Girl! said...

Dear Azazura,
Thanks for the compliment. I checked your site and wow, you are a traveler, and you have an interesting story to tell, too.
Keep them coming!

Raf,
I have no idea! Wait natin si tetch. She was the one who said we were 30 in accl 5 then, 29 by the time we graduated.