(referring to my previous post) http://hellotigerkitty.blogspot.com/2008/01/tokyo-nostalgia.html
It was that same feeling, that of being independent, alone in a small room. It was 8 years ago but I remember the feeling. I was living alone in a tatami mat-sized apatoo (apartment), with very scanty furnishing. I was paying P35,000 per month for rent in that room and on hindsight, it was pretty shabby. Not pretty. Not shabby chic. Just shabby.
Upon entry, you see the sofabed; to the right is my bathroom which consists of a tub where you stand up to shower and sit down if you want a hot bath, a toilet bowl and a wash basin.
Next to the bathroom is the small sink with electric griller and rice cooker for one.
My bed is right next to this, and facing my bed is the TV (terebi)and my books.
Every Saturday I would go up to the laundry room, at the top of the building and wash my dirty clothes. Different machine for colored clothes, different for the whites. On the same floor, I hang my almost dry clothes and use the sinampay to hang my laundry, yes even the undies, and no, they didn't get stolen.
I remember one time looking out the building and thinking to myself, what was I doing in a foreign land?
The great thing about my apatoo was that it has a very nice Izakaya (sake bars). I love eating grilled mackerel while sipping cold Kirin bar here.
So now, 8 years later I find myself in a tiny apartment, with a tiny kitchen, and a bed facing the television.
But it's not that. I'm not complaining. I love my space.
It's the feeling that's the same. That it's time to move on.
No comments:
Post a Comment