Atat. If there's another description that fits me, this is it. Or as some friends would term it, "All the Time, Any Time", which in certain instances, can be a synonym for impatience. But I have a disclaimer! Only on things I really like- movies, books, outfits, shoes, and only to a certain early to mid adopter degree. (sorry, marketing speak). I don't have a penchant for all the latest gadgets because frankly, I can't afford it, and the wanting, the upgrading can be all-consuming. So that is why I don't have an ipod. It would have been a great gift from you-know-who, but we're not digressing there. (Ok, he always gives me Zara tops and jewelries, and me likey those,too).
Anyway, I managed without the ipod because it has been so easy to rip music onto cds from friends and from friends of friends, the kapitbahay with the unsecured wifi connection,from djs, and the ubiquitous dvd suki, who also has dvd/mp3/audio cd formats that can just be plugged in the car or played in the house. Shared folders at the office are filled with song selections which i can cd-write from my laptop and plug in the car tuner. But cds are bulky- I have 3 cd cases and it takes too much space in the car,certainly not enough to fit in the dashboard. Besides,you can only write 20 or so songs in a disc, and eventhough I can manage to change cds while driving and texting, my recent accident is a warning for fools like me.
But that is not just why I got an ipod. I've been delaying this gratification for so long because there's a substitute. But there can be no subsitute to running a marathon with a great Nike running shoes and an ipod to track my performance. Nice huh? This is the other major reason. But frankly, I like the latest grey/blue Adidas running shoes. When it comes to taste, women like design first more than engineering (and almost all my sports outfits are adidas because of this, of course they are also well-engineered, designed for functionality, like their climacool line of shirts). So although I don't have my marathon shoes yet (this is, after all, a 2008 goal, or to be more precise, running the marathon is a goal before turning 40, which means i have 7 years to train for it.Wow talk about having a long-term plan), there is another (and the best) major reason why i now have an ipod.
This is because it is inevitable; like a wave crashing from the sea onto land, technology has made learning and sharing more practical, requiring less of an effort. Imagine: listening to podcasts, learning more from audio books,watching videos, sharing files, again, learning more from artists and music of the past that can still be appreciated now, and learning about new songs or genres. All in one tiny gadget. And when i talk about the ipod and apple, in general, i am in awe of the brand.
Placed upon my hands, I try to capture the experience of owning an ipod.
->My first thought: that it is a very well-thought out design. It's light and none of the over the top marketing attempts to shock the senses away from the product. This, I learn, is also due to the very dynamic way apple responded to its customer feedback, changing and upgrading the product to make it the simplest.
->The packaging is very simple, and in fact, stripped down to its essentials.
->The manual, i love the manual: it is graphical, easy to read, with lots of white spaces, and very straightforward with words.
Compare this with Nokia (and I'm very brand loyal here too), but apple is way ahead, a design that seemed to answer just what you need, something so simple but not a lot of brands quite get how this can be done. It is so simple that it's just.. magic.
My mantra just recently is simplify, simplify. I promise to get this under control, and that my gadgets will not include swarovski-studded laminated sheet cover and other accessories for my nano. And yes, a nano is enough for a simple girl like me. Even if I'm 3 years delayed in adopting.
No comments:
Post a Comment