*****
Red invited us over to their house blessing. Buboy had his Sony Ericsson which we loved for its BestPic feature, a 6-shot shutter frames taken in series. We just set the camphone on a table and posed like juveniles. Red's dad joined us in and was surprised that there were 6 shots. All of us were making faces while his mestizo face had the same pose and smile. How funny!
















******
The 3rd Sunday of August is our baranggay's town fiesta. People used to spend a lot of money to make sure they had 6 dishes and loads of beer to serve to their guests. In Sampaloc, a fiesta consisted of banderitas, palayok hung above the banderitas(or is it by the Meralco post?), a band and 4 majorettes, ati-atihan troupe, a singing contest at night, a mass and this year, an acoustic concert, with my cousin Dodong playing for our kapitbahay. This year, there was less spending, but same amount of merriment. I walked in on my Tita's house and a Bombay was eating at their table. I was surprised at this, but my Anti Weng and Uncle Rey are known to invite a lot of people in their really tiny apartment/sari sari store. This Bombay spoke in broken English and Tagalog with a heavy Indian accent. Anti Weng and Uncle Rey owed this Bombay money, or 5/6, and he would pass their house everyday to get his daily payment. My cousin Krystal who is 6 years old would also get her daily P5 from the Bombay. The Indian liked her, but told me it is secret, because "can not do that in other place." He was eating at their table, unlike his older brother who used to handle this route. His service is a Honda motorbike, and his package included an apartment and a Honda car. He told me they are financed by someone from India to operate here. " I will not go back to India, Manila is good, good business. In one year, I can not go to SM, because I save money. After that, pwede na.." His main fear is other people in other neighborhood who owe them money, but would not have second doubts sticking a knife onto their Indian body.
What a strange feeling, I said to myself as I ate my pansit and Pepsi. Indians have entrepreneurial spirit and a sharp mind. 5/6 is compounded interest at its best. I just spoke to a VP of Pepsico International and noticed the similarity in shrewdness. I wondered if a mind is a dull mind if it does not think of running a business and taking the risk. What will become of Filipinos if we all thought a little more entreprenuerially?
Then there would be no fiesta, and I would be manning the business on this wet Sunday afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment