
One of my favorite people in the world is a French guy. Even though we met for only a brief moment in 2000, we managed to make this fleeting moment last. Over email, we have managed to keep in touch til I saw him again in June 2005. He picked me up from my hotel in Shinjuku and brought with him a priceless gift. A 5-year cherry blossom. A tangible evidence of that poignant memory in late March when we went out during lunchtime to Meguro park, and watched the sunlight streak through the cherry blossoms. He brought with him cheese shipped from France, and white wine while we talked in silence, enjoying a memory that will last til lifetime.
Dear Armi,
Your e-mail really touched my heart... brought back memories and even some tears..both of sadness and joy.Sad you are so far away and joy because I have a small place in your heart.Thank you.
**********
O Hisashiburidesu Ne!
One of my fondest memories are my " Japan days". I just love this country and its people. Some became my friends for life. There is Kenji, a colleague who also became my guide to Tokyo, the Kishida family from Nagano who knocked on our apatoo door by mistake, but ended up inviting us (Cielo and I) for tea. Soon we were treated like members of their family (made our dream of wearing a kimono come true, had origami sessions and we were invited to lots of family dinners). There is also Kaoru, a not so typical Japanese girl as she is outspoken and a go-getter. She showed me what a wonderful life it is to have dogs as part of the family, and even went on a shopping binge and a sake bar with me to ease my loneliness.
One who stoods out though, is not even a Japanese, but a French native who holds an Australian passport but has lived for more than 15 years in Japan. He has a perpetually curious mind that can be infectious. Alas, you'd wish it stays with you, but that trait has been developed his entire life. I asked him." What happened? Why are you here in Japan? And what is that bit about Australia, and your country, why leave it?" I must admit it was a question posed by a young person, a bit tactless but nonetheless appreciated for its sincerity.
"Why Japan?" ,
" It is convenient, has four seasons, country is beautiful, people are kind, and it is kind to old people."

Over sashimi, coffee, tea, Half and Half beers, I heard stories of old Europe, where engineers did not get paid in old Croatia for months so they had to work elsewhere, of crazy "road trips" ending up in Switzerland, of Yakuza men, Filipinas in Tokyo, and how hard it is for gaijins to own a restaurant in Tokyo.
I remember how he came to my rescue on one sad day. He has touched my heart, and rekindled my spirit. I stood, like many heroines in a movie (Before Sunrise? Lost in Translation?) at the train station with him holding my hand telling me it is going to be all right. Before we went our separate ways, he kissed my hand.
I left Tokyo shortly after that.
No comments:
Post a Comment