Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Been There, Done That, But Wait, There's More to Conquer



I tell my friend Myr to continue posting stories of her world tour. They are most interesting. I tried to recall the adventures and interesting activities I've participated in. Even if these are mostly local and Asian, I have caught the travel bug.

1. Spelunking and conquered Seleca passage- Located in Tuguegarao, we go inside the cave guided by Argel and he asks everyone to turn the flashlights off. Complete and utter darkness. Then he asked for a volunteer to go inside this tiny passage. I don't know what it was, but I raised my hand to volunteer to go first. It is a passage because you go out the same way you go in, and at some point you have to lie flat on your chest, twist your body and use your arms to move forward. My time is 3 minutes, I think. Helps to be nimble.
2. Chico river rafting- up in the northern province of Kalinga lies the great majestic Chico river. From a distance one can hear the water rumble. It has taken lives, this great river, but to most, it is a fun, exciting, albeit scary ride. Anton's adventure is to ask everyone to jump off the float, and experience being tumbled ala washing machine. We rode over 30 waves, and swam the last 2 ones. I chickened when I heard the roaring sound of the water and asked to be lifted onto the float. Ha-ha.
3. Dressed up as X-Men - my 15-minutes of fame. Each year, my job requires a Supplier's Night where we thank our suppliers for their support, recap our accomplishments and lay out our plans for the next year. In 2003 we did Charlie's Angels, and in 2004 X-Men as the theme to make the event interesting. X-Men's theme was on multiplicity, by leveraging on our resources we can all satisfy our customers. It was a "show", but it capped other supplier's nights from the FMCG because they knew us as serious negotiators. Now they know we know how to have a good time. Our president was game, and ended up with the role of Prof. X.
4. Climbing a coconut tree to cross to another- Done in my lovely Boracay, this was part of a top management team building effort. I was partnered with Kit. The challenge was to cross to the other side using the short rope and the body of a partner. Kit, weighing 240 lbs fell just when I was able to reach to him. Because of my height and Kit's built, Bora vendors were shouting," Si Gloria at si Mike". It's funny how all the pearl vendors stopped selling as we became the entertainment for the day. The judgement: I have a great sense of balance, and my self- acceptance score based on Harrison Assessment is high. This apparently is a good trait for a manager. But let me fill you in on a secret, that just don't make it.
5. Survive in a foreign country with a foreign language- Japan. I love it.
I can write a series of blog entries about Japan, and it always brings wonderful memories.
Myr, keep on writing!

No comments: