
There is a Veramonte 2003 Sauvignon Blanc from Casablanca Valley under my bed. On the bottle: "Zesty and full of bright tropical flavors, made from the Veramonte Estate 22 miles from the Pacific Coast. Cooling coastal influences produce delicious Sauvignon Blanc with light floral aromas, crisp fruity flavors and well-balanced acidity. " Yesterday, my friends from Lambo and I finished a 1.5 Liter Carlo Rossi. Last week, Mama and I finished the Shiraz last week, we find it best with thin slices of apple, and uhmm..cheese. On my flight to Manila, I chose a sparkling French wine instead of my usual orange juice. I envied the 3 wine connoisseurs of Singapore Airlines whose job was to select and accredit wines to be carried by the airline. Tomorrow, I will be with my two most favorite wine buddies. We are as eager to hear from each other as to taste "the lingering and complex kind", of wine, of course.
I remember my first sip of wine. I remember it along with the hot sake of Nagano, Japan, their 7-meal courses, with the elaborate preparation and presentation of food that is distinctly Nihon. I learned social drinking in Nagano. I learned having after work beeru (beer) in sakana-ya (fish shops) and Irish pubs in Tokyo. I started taking wine with steak with my Japanese tomodachi (friend) Kenji (oh Kenji, I wish you are all right), white wine with sushi with my French friend Christian, and sake and karaoke with my bucho (division manager). The appreciation did not happen overnight. I took to Japanese food much easier. I was hooked after my first meal. Coffee I was addicted to, after a year. Wine grows on you, much like miso soup.
My first wine tasting session was with Joseph of the family of Ralph Wines and Spirits. He took time to explain how to appreciate wine, how to taste its complexities, how one can detect oak, smell pine, hints of berries, the tannin, and other wine-speak or jargon. Ming Roxas, my favorite Assumptionista, would then invite me to wine festivals. We would take wine with pates, canapes, cheese and pastries. It was actually during this French festival that I started really appreciating wine. It is best appreciated with food (needless to say, among my interests). Soon, my friends and I graduated from coffee, and began taking pasta with our wine.
Many years later, Robert (bless you, Lady) would often invite us to wine buffet. We did the rounds of Australian wines in Shangri-la Edsa (P595++) and New World (P395++). The background: good friends, updates on our lives, sharing of pain and joys, talking, listening. Soft music, soft lights, good food. Our favorite Italian restaurant Pagliacci in Podium is now closed, we had good wine sessions there. Grappas in Greenbelt 3 where we had the long and lingering kind, Casa Armas of Podium and Greenbelt for Consuelo's birthday. Chris and Consuelo have something in common other than me- both agree on good food and wine.
Although celebrations and revelations are both good wine moments, a relaxing moment can be a wine moment. Salud!
Sauvignon blanc is a green-skinned grape variety which
originates from the Bordeaux region of France. It is now planted in much of the world's winelands producing a crisp dry refreshing white varietal wine. It is best enjoyed slightly chilled, with fish or cheese. Along with Riesling, it is one of the first fine wines to be bottled in screwcap in commercial quantities, especially by New Zealand winemakers.Cabernet Sauvignon is a variety of red grape mainly used for wine production, and is, along with Chardonnay, one of the most widely-planted of the world's noble grape varieties. Many of the red wines regarded as among the world's greatest, like Red Bordeaux, are made from, predominantly, Cabernet Sauvignon.
Merlot is a variety of wine grape used to create a popular red wine. Merlot-based wines usually have medium body with hints of berry, plum, and currant. Most connoisseurs consider it "easy to drink" when compared to other red wines, particularly its traditional blending partner Cabernet Sauvignon.
Trivia: According to anecdotal reports in the US media, Merlot received sales-dampening notoriety due to the following exchange from the 2004 film Sideways:
Jack: If they want to drink Merlot, we're drinking Merlot.
Miles Raymond: No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!
No comments:
Post a Comment