
When do we know when we've reached maturity? I knew it was last night for me. After a plant visit, I've had just enough time to put on make-up, don a beautiful black silk dress, killer pumps, pearl drop earrings and played host to CEOS, exchanged small talk with my expat boss' boss, ok , flirted a little with the cute Aussie guy (I always fall for the tech guy), spiked my Slurpee with Vodka and drank red wine.
It was not the wine, the dress, nor the CEOS that made me feel mature. It was when I reached my fifth glass of wine and danced 3 hours straight to DJ G.P. Reyes' rhythm when I realized I will be going home alone and had to drive. Shit. Drunk and driving. I was in the restroom when I realized I had to stop drinking or dancing (It's much nicer to dance with a glass of wine on one hand and a cocktail bag on the other). I was already past tipsy and onto losing my dress' dignity as I could not walk straight anymore. So I left Embassy's VIP room, lest I get pulled back in, and went down the stairs only to see a lot of beautiful people just starting to get in (It was 2:30 AM).

After that it was a struggle walking past Embassy onto the NBC Tent because my killer pumps were..killing me. I made it to my car but I didn't know if I could make it back home. First of all, I didn't know how to get out of the Fort. I know how to get there, but either I ride with somebody in or out or somebody always drove for me on the way back. Last night I had such a great time I thought why not drive, get lost and then find my way home. Well, a lot more happened in between that decision. First, I knew I was drunk when I forgot to put down my Maidenform Flexees (the kind Jennifer Garner wears in Alias everytime she has to wear a dress) after going to the loo. I was walking to the parking lot wondering why I have a slight bulge in my stomach when it was supposed to be flat. Upon reaching the car, I managed to slip it out of me, but not very Sharon Stone-like, if you know what I mean. Then I asked myself if I could make it home. I was certain I'd get lost, but I made the decision anyway. I waited it out a bit til I got my drowsiness and tipsiness manageable and started WLE (he is for sale, my beautiful Honda City).
Sure enough, I think I entered the wrong alley at the Fort and was on my way to Pasig Church when I managed to ask tricycle drivers where I was headed. I said " Sta. Mesa" and they looked at me and told me why I'm headed in that direction, but they had my answer because I think my words were slurry and my eyes glazed. They taught me the direction, all I had to do was back up by about 5 meters to the intersection and head straight to find my way to C5 -Ortigas. Everyone knows I'm not the greatest driver, and under the influence of wine, my skills are the same (Woo-hoo!). So I backed up, hazard signals on, and my car started skewing to the left too much I had to check the mirror intently because I was already near the curb. Of course there were oncoming cars, and I saw them, but I was not really seeing them. I had this young guy guide me til I reached the intersection, then zoom, zoom, zoom. I made the right turns this time and was at home by 3 AM. What an interesting night. I puked a little after I parked the car (not in the car! No sex, cigarettes or puke in my car), but its red wine naman eh. Shosh-yal. HAHA.
You know you're mature enough when you have consumed almost a bottle of wine, know you're going to get lost but certain you will find your way home. There's always an adventure somewhere, but weighing the risk, and eagerly setting up yourself for the unknown is what maturity is all about. You know you either win or lose. Alone or with somebody else.
No comments:
Post a Comment