Friday, May 08, 2009

Rainy Days in Summer

My mood is a bit sad (just bit), a little bit under the weather, only because the kids are gone. A whole month of activities and poof, they are gone, back to where they came from, our lives slowly adjusting to what it used to be. Not that I am complaining, we did nothing unusual, except that having them here allowed our families to bond together. Alas, the kids were even successful in asking Papa to go out.

Me, the tita: What do you want to do tonight?
Kuya Miguel (age: 6): Hmnn..I want..pizza!
Ysa (age:4): Yes, pizza. I want pepperoni!
Kuya Miguel: Yes. Lotsa. (lotsa pizza, he meant)
Me to sister: Ano bang pizza gusto nila, parang yung Four Seasons ng Yellowcab ang gusto ko pero parang greenwhich lang ok na sa kanila basta may pepperoni.
Sis to me: Hay naku, excited kami dinala namin sila sa Greenwhich, ang sabi ba naman sa min, " This is not real pizza!"

LOL. (Turns out anything not round is not real pizza).

So I ended up taking them to my favorite pizza place, Amici in T. Morato. Kuya was so excited to see how they cook the pizza in the wood-fired oven, and kept asking what kind of pizza toppings were being put in the other people's orders (he said yuck when I told him the other was seafood pizza). Service was fast, and the pizza was good. He had 4 slices! Here he is wearing Audrey and AJ's Googoo and Gaga heart tattoo tee.




*****************

Two other people who knew my pamangkins were here asked where I brought them. I thought about the Ocean Adventure, but then I thought of my friend Anna Cabrera who is PAWS director and she wouldn't approve. Good thing the kids just came from seeing one in KSA. Then I saw ZOOBIC and wanted to go there as well, but I saw their zoo adventure in the Middle East and it was not bad. Besides, 2 years ago we already had a lot of zoo trips. So this time, we made plans to go to the beach.










I called it a rustic getaway because we stayed in a family friend's nipa hut, but I booked my sister and her family in another lodging because the kids like soft beds and clean restrooms. L and I bunked up with the boys in the nipa hut, while some of our friends camped out in a tent. We had the beachfront property, and the sound of the waves lulled us to sleep. The kids stayed out in the sun the whole morning, and in the early afternoons too. In between, they gorged on hotdogs and Coke Zero, and of course, inihaw na liempo and samaral. I saw them fly their kite, play Frisbee, and rode the bodyboard.












They left after lunch of Saturday to catch the Pacquiao-Hatton fight, and I was left with my boys. It was just as well because by 5PM the rain came pouring in, and the guys I hang out with in QC ran to the beach to swim under the rain. I did the same thing, and the warm water was inviting. Then all of them took their turn on the skimboard, all with little success. It was fun watching them tumble down, falling flat on their back or their sides, clutching their back in the process, ready to ride up again. At night we would play cards, and they would lose money, and get drunk. Then I hear the wind and the soft crashing of the waves, and my breathing eases and I get to sleep.






No comments: