Monday, November 03, 2008

When in Bangkok...



Right in the heart of downtown Bangkok, the Grand Erawan hotel has close proximity to the shopping area. Bangkok, the consumer capital, is indeed beckoning customers to spend, spend, spend.

Within the hotel complex is a 3- floor shopping center with signature brands like Coach and Burberry, along with shops that carry local Thai designers. I checked out Y-3 because their window display and merchandising looked hip and young but the few pieces I liked were priced astronomically. (Like Baht 16,250 for a top I wanted to wear for that night's reception. That's almost P23K for a blouse! So no go. Yes, Y-3 is expensive because they are made in Japan and the fabric is from France.) A few meters across this complex is the Central World mall, which I visited in one of my trips to Bangkok, and across it is the Gaysorn mall where the Louis Vuitton shop is situated at the corner, fronting 2 major streets. (Say hello to my Neverfull).


By the hotel is the BTS Sky train (our station is Chit Lom), which also has the sky walk where it is just a 5-minute walk to get to Siam Square to see Siam Centre and Paragon.













When in Bangkok.... you need to go visit Paragon to visit the Gourmet Market and to take home several Super Spicy Tamarind and other fruit and vegetable chips. (Okra chip and the super spicy tamarind are the best sellers, I swear. Not the usual sweet tamarind from MBK, nor the fresh ones, but the ones sold in PET bottles with paper and ribbon packaging.)












When in Bangkok...do a mall tour. We passed by this camera shop which reminded me of L. These lenses were covered in camouflage decals, perfect for L.








When in Bangkok...don't skip the Suan Lum Night Bazaar, if you can't go to Chatuchak, the weekend market.







And when in Bangkok, forget about your diet. Know whether wine and Thai food works well with your stomach.






The Food Loft, 7th floor of Chit Lom mall. Average meal of Baht 190
The Residences, Grand Erawan
Grand Erawan Tea Room














And when in Bangkok, party like wild. (Ok I skipped Patpong this time, and went to a Tatler awarded lounge bar. I've seen the pingpong show and once is enough).



No comments: