I don’t know what's going through his mind and I asked Jo, my good Canadian friend if they felt uncomfortable about the third world. She said, "I don’t look at it that way. I realize that it is a different world. People work hard, and it is a difficult life. But you learn from these travels, and you take those lessons with you. You learn to appreciate what you have, and you feel the responsibility to contribute more..” I love Jo.

I remember this conversation as i bring my nephew and niece to Manila Zoo. The last time I was here I felt horrible at the condition the animals were in, and the dilapidated state the zoo was in, yet I felt joy all over from kids who were brought there by their parents in an earnest way to make them feel happy. Up to this day, I remember the times we were brought to the Manila Zoo, the Wildlife Park in QC, Luneta and these are among my most vivid memories. Kids just never forget these things. As I hold Miguel’s hand as we enter the zoo I saw his excitement and when he said,"Cool.Wow, an elephant!". His eyes grew bigger, and he took a step back. I told myself this is so worth missing my yoga class and a few hours of Saturday sleep.
Manila Zoo is in a state of reconstruction, thank you very much to Mayor Atienza. This effort certainly pays forward, as I see kids and parents the same as yesteryears- kids are delighted, and parents mark a positive contribution in the development of their children by painting their childhood memories with love and great experiences. When we were driving back home, Miguel told his mommy,” Love ko Tita Armi. Mahal ko Tita Armi ko yan, “ while Ysa, who doesn’t kiss anyone except her mommy, kissed me and gave me a huge smile, as if to say thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment