I was invited by friends to a concert last Friday- the invite said ," A Journey of Hope." With a conscious effort not to wallow in despair, drink alcohol or go out on a date, I decided to go after picking up my car from Honda Shaw. The Jesuit Volunteers of the Philippines hosted a concert honoring its 700 volunteers in the past 27 years with the hopes of continuing its mission of sharing love in far flung places in the Philippines.Youth volunteers spend a year of their time immersed in rural areas teaching,volunteering,praying and in the process,finding and defining themselves. The AFP Theater became the venue for telling the story of these volunteers with Jed Medala, Bituin Escalante,Karylle, Neneth Espiritu singing broadway songs that speak of hope, of finding the path, living in the moment and reaching for our dreams.
Songs from the West Side Story, Les Miserables, The Sound of Music, The Lion King,Phantom of the Opera were chosen to tell the stories of the volunteers. They tell us it is a sad,sometimes sorrowful journey to be away from home,out of your comforts, and on your own, but the desire to help out of love overcomes all these and rewards them with something they will never forget for the rest of their lives. Pictures of volunteers flashed on the screen while they teach kids from around the Philippines, and testimonies from past volunteers tell a story of great character formation borne out of their experience.
"It changed my life. It defined me," said one past volunteer who is now a teacher at Ateneo de Davao. Songs were interspersed with these testimonies while guest singers applauded the efforts of the volunteers in helping spread love. Song after song spoke of hope and overcoming despair. The song that spoke to me most is a song from the movie Dreamgirls, interpreted with the excellent vocals and the soul of Bituin Escalante. The lines are simple, but this song should be heard to appreciate what Effie's character was going through. Bituin was captivating and delivered one of the most memorable performances i've seen in my life.
Look at me, Look at me
I am changing
Trying every way I can
I am changing
I'll be better than I am
I'm trying to find a way to understand
But I need you, I need you
I need a hand
I am changing
Seeing everything so clear
I am changing
I'm gonna start right now, right here
I'm hoping to work it out
And I know that I can
But I need you, I need a hand
All of my life I've been a fool
Who said I could do it all alone
How many good friends have I already lost?
How many dark nights have I known?
Walking down that wrong road
There was nothing I could find
All those years of darkness
Could make a person blind
But now I can see
I am changing
Trying every way I can
I am changing
I'll be better than I am
But I need a friend
To help me start all over again
That would be just fine
I know it's gonna work out this time
'Cause this time I am
This time I am
I am changing
I'll get my life together now
I am changing
Yes I know how
I'm gonna start again
I'm gonna leave my past behind
I'll change my life
I'll make a vow and nothings gonna stop me now
No comments:
Post a Comment