
Vast, flat and dry.
These are the adjectives my mind conjured after spending a few days in Dallas. Vast lands in Dallas are owned by the old rich, according to my new-found friends from our headquarters. These are the men garbed in jeans, buckled belts, boots, cowboy hat and speaking in the Southern twang but live in huge houses. As we toured the city, I saw some of the houses, which are like churches in size! I imagined for a moment a life in one of those houses. "Big daddy in his cadillac partying with the same rich neighbors. A life certainly different from ours."

Dallas has the most number of pick-ups in all the states of the US, and mostly because this city has farmlands (at Fortworth) and oil. The Dallas Cowboys is housed in a huge auditorium with a large Oracle signage, enough to seat over 60,000 fans who come to town whenever there is a game. People love the Cowboys and are passionate about their sports. Downtown Dallas however is set amidst skyscrapers towering one over the other. Our headquarters is a majestic building set apart from the others because of more land surrounding the building. The opulence is evident in the art collection housed inside the building and the huge executive offices. There is even a winter room just outside the office of the CEO where sometimes hawks would come and rest at one of the gargoyles. The organization is undergoing a dramatic cultural change with a transfer to a smaller building, buyout by the Japanese (the Japs bought out the mother company), and a layout structure where there are no cubicles and staff face one another with the section manager at the far end of the open layout, overlooking his staff- Japanese style.

We didn't get to do much sightseeing in Dallas,nor in San Antonio. All I managed to see was the street where JFK was gunned down, and I saw the areas where the River Walk is done. I would have wanted to see the historic Alamo. The good thing is, I had the best Mexican food ever.
- guacamole (the secret to making this dip is the cumin!)
- burritos
- margarita by the pitcher
- quesadilla
- nachos

I couldn't resist. That's a margarita smile there for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment