Thursday, February 21, 2008

Let Go

Fresh from the long-haul flight from Dallas, she was billeted at Manila Pen and I came to see her. We hug and we kiss. We have known each other for over four years, and our relationship progressed from being respectful to one of familiarity, with deep respect, into mentor ship. I admire her dedication to her career, spanning twenty years and swimming amidst a suit-ful of men. As global director for merchandising and marketing, she has learned to embrace different cultures from Asia to Europe, made wonderful friends, but she especially loved our country and the people here. She is always full of praises for the local team, and with her earnest, deep-seated passion to deliver her goals, she gives more than the usual support. She keeps saying I am "first class!", but really, she is in a class on her own.

As with evolving relationships, ours has transcended work and has touched on the personal. She has been supportive of me when I was heartbroken and since then, has made two trips back here, always giving me presents, from inspirational books to stuff that she picked up from Bangkok or wherever she was last from. Then last year, after a whirlwind of work output from her end, all was quiet. Until yesterday when at the last minute, we learned she was attending our event. In a quiet moment after all the catching up about work, I told her the latest news about the personal forefront. She looked at me, unbelieving, and her deep-set eyes swirled from disbelief, to shock, to confusion, until she found the right words to say:

" Are you sure?"

I explained, though not fully.

Then she asked again

"So what happens next?"

"He goes back there, maybe next month..."

More question on her eyes now, probing my heart.

"What happens to Armi? What about Armi?"


I honestly did not know the right answer to that one, except this.

"Whatever happens, Armi is going to be all right."

She sighed. As if she recognized the signs.

"Well you know what, love is like that; you cannot rationalize it." Then she looks straight into my eyes, piercing and warning, " Just...just know in your heart the risks involved...and although this has taught you many things, and that it's going to be easier whatever happens this time around, that you are stronger and wiser after all that...just take care and have fun." She was at a loss for words, this woman, who has no trouble with presentations, impromptu speeches and any social interaction or situation of any kind. Then she bounces back from this totally unexpected turn of events, and says:

" Where is he? I want to meet him and I want to tell him how lucky he is to have you, and that he should take care of you."

She did not forget and asks me, at the end of the night to introduce me to him.
I did, and she was taken aback when she saw a photographer clad in jeans, bald head and overgrown moustache. (I know, I know. They all think I'm better suited with a tall, lanky guy- like Jojo Alejar, only darker and taller, like my dreamboy, the Atenista).

"Hiiiiiii! I just wanted to tell you that Armi is very talented, and you are very lucky."

He says: " I know"

She wasn't finished..."She is so great that I want to bring her to the States with me. "

Now that is a thought, I thought.

***

On the drive back to the hotel, we talked about her life in the US. She imagined winning the US$243M state lottery, and how she would GIVE IT ALL AWAY! She said, " Because I have everything I need, Armi. I would give it all away to those who need it, maybe just buy myself a new car, then I will quit my job and retire in beautiful Vancouver."

That is the kind of person she is: selfless, giving, caring, exquisite. Her last message to me, turning into a mentor once again, was to remind me of my responsibilities as a senior manager. "You have to learn to let go, Armi. Then you will begin to focus on new things, and these things, you will soon see that they can make an impact on the work of others."

No comments: