I've never been to New York but after watching Sex in the City seasons 1-6, I can cite several reasons why they say it's a city like no other. Aside from the numerous museums, shops, restaurants and other places of interests that NY has, going to Central Park can be so...fashionable. Donning a summer dress (Miranda), or shorts with belt bag and a coral blue spaghetti top (Carrie) while drinking lemonade and talking about men, Central Park is as much a place to be seen as a New York way of life.
I found myself in my New York park moment, the closest Manila can have, last year. It's a small but well-kept park-Jaime Velasquez Park, I believe, is its official name, located along Alfaro corner Leviste Street in Salcedo Village, Makati. It's in front of Starbucks along Alfaro, and on its three sides are residential condos and business centers. It is near at least two call centers and three 7-Elevens. I was there one Saturday evening last year with my guy sorting out relationship issues. We took our coffee and tea from Starbucks, plopped along one of the washout-finished benches and watched the people pass by. There were Japanese women strolling with their babies, women in shorts jogging, old couples walking , yayas with their wards, and couples like us talking or just spending their Saturdays off not at the mall. It was a serious talk- I was asking for a reconciliation, but note how I seemed to remember the scenes.
I also remember that the park was well-lit, there was no need for a security guard as the park emits a sense of nature, harmony and serenity. Hedgerows are well-kept, no thrash or garbage littered on the walkways. I was on an agenda that night, but I kept a mental note of another agenda: to visit the park at daytime, and taste their famous bar-b-que.
After Friday gimmicks in Makati, my friends Cielo, Ime and I would return to Alfaro Place at around 2 AM, chat, sleep then wake up at 9 AM,shower and head our separate ways. Cielo is off to her Docent Class at the Ayala Museum, Ime to her Industrial Psychology teaching class at UST, and I to my wonderful bed/derma/whatever is scheduled that day. But before we go, we cross the street to the park. On my first visit to the park where the parking area is converted to a Saturday flea market, I was overwhelmed by the sight. A mixture of traditional Filipino food sold in several stalls is its main offer. Kesong puti, Cebu lechon, Aling Nene's bar-b-q, fresh Chinese lumpia, puto, suman, kutsinta, organic vegetables and fruits, grilled seafoods, bacon pao, bonsai, native hats and bags, hot choco, flavored teas and coffee, fresh fruit shakes, pastries, pasta, you name it, they have it. A cacophony of sounds on a Saturday morning combined with a leisure walk, taking in the surroundings is not a sensory overload but is rather a delightful experience. There are no offensive smells or loud heckling. The stall owners encourage you to taste their products.
What You'll Hear:"This suman is made from herbs in Dumaguete. It's naturally sweet, taste it."
What You'll Sometimes Hear: " I want mine vegetarian lumpia. No sugar!!!! More vegetables!!!!"
POP on the product: Aklan-made, Guimaras mangoes, gourmet coffee
The Crowd: Armida Sigueon-Reyna shopping alone, that exercise lady (not Tina Juan) in full aerobics attire, Caucasian and Japanese couples, Makati's old rich couples, Chrissy of Nestle, a Caucasian woman carrying a bayong-ful of goodies, Preview's Pauline Juan with kid and yaya in tow (she was uber fashionable in green short shorts and a printed blouse, sans makeup), Celine Lopez in short shorts, a bright yellow top (sleeveless of course), and a scarf on her head, and with a guy (of course).
On my first visit, I've rounded the small parking lot twice and noted that in 2 hours, 7 whole Cebu lechons were sold at P300/kilo. Talk about a fast-moving item! My last visit was during the previous weekend. By 11:30, after rounding up the usuals, I'm in my car, driving to my Fashion Beat CD, munching on my bacon pao and glancing lovingly at my fresh Chinese lumpia, which I'm saving for lunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment