Monday, January 05, 2009

First 2009 Purchases




Just when I thought I am utterly, hopelessly lost in the world of television (I am hooked and feel like a dummy gazing at the abyss; I could not turn my back sometimes, especially with the likes of shows like TMZ which is really pointless), I find myself in Fully Booked the other day, and my choice of books are all, surprise, surprise, under the COOKERY section.

JAIME OLIVER's KITCHEN








AMY BESA AND ROMY DOROTAN's MEMORIES OF PHILIPPINE KITCHEN
Photos by Neil Oshima










Anthony Bourdain's KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL











Here is a list of The New York Times's 10 Best Books of the year (unranked):

1. Toni Morrison's A Mercy
2. 2666: A Novel by Roberto Bolano
3. Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
4. The Forever War by Dexter Filkins
5. Netherland: A Novel by Joseph O'Neill
6. The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How The War on Terror Turned into a War on American Ideals by Jane Mayer
7. Nothing to Be Frightened Of by Julian Barnes
8. Dangerous Laughter: Thirteen Stories by Steven Millhauser
9. The World Is What It Is: The Authorized Biography of V. S. Naipaul by Patrick French
10. This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War by Drew Gilpin Faust

You can also see the Times's full list of 100 Notable Books from 2008 and compare this with amazon's listing at www.amazon.com

No comments: