Just before going down the elevator on our way to IKEA, I made a split decision to have a new hair cut here in Taipei. I was getting tired of my flat, rebonded hair that has layers but no volume. I was envious of the Taipei girls who had soft curls and looked long and lean. I was in one of my worst fat days, and decided to either
(a) give up and just buy loose shirts and dresses , (in fact I ended up buying 3 of those) or
(b) fitness is a state of mind. If I put myself up to it, I can lah!
So I went down to the hotel lobby and informed my boss that I'd skip Ikea and head downtown to see a friend who knows Allen, reputedly one of the best hairstylists in town. It's complicated when one doesn't speak Chinese, but a written instruction from the receptionist and I was headed to Mitsukoshi, a 15-minute ride by taxi, but on hindsight, a very quick MRT ride that would have saved me NT$150, and the rush-hour traffic.
But I was unperturbed, having made that quick decision meant I really, really want it. I enter the parlor, and this shangri-la greets me.

Everyone was slim, had colored hair, and was dressed fashionably. The one who blow dried my hair was wearing the trend in the streets now-- a bohemian like spaghetti strap printed dress. She wore it with elegance even while sweeping the floor off of hair. Allen, on the other hand, is a cutie. He is not gay, although he is fond of wearing caps/hats/bonnets, along with a scarf. He wears these with a white tee, cut off jeans and funky shoes. Best of all, he has a great smile and is very accommodating.
They sat me down to wash my hair and I was mildly surprised when I lay on a massage chair while a teenager washes my hair. It was like the massage chair DEP bought, and I enjoyed the hair washing while it lasted. Then she turns me over to Allen. I didn't realize it was going to be that complicated, this analyzing of my hair. First, I asked my friend to interpret what I wanted.
"Ayoko magmukhang siopao"
"I want to retain the bangs, but make it longer, and parted to the side"
"I want the length a little above the shoulders"
"I want him to make my face look slimmer.."
Okey, I admit it was a lot. But who could blame me, I was paying NT$1000 for the cut, and I was looking forward to how he would do it. After all, everyone I know who went there went home happy and gorgeous. But really, if you could wish, it wouldn't be so bad to ask, right?
Wrong. The truth was painful to hear. But he is so cute, and so charming, with his cute smile and engaging voice that I was just smiling the whole time he was explaining, even asking for permission from me before he did what he thought was best. He touched my hair several times, pushed my bangs from one end to the other

"You have curly hair. " (My translation: kulot ka at ang mga sumpa lumalabas na..)
" You straighten your hair that is why it is so flat. "
" For your face to look slimmer, you need it straight on top, with bangs framing both sides of your face, and then some soft curls at the shoulder.." (Akala ko he was gonna say, for your face to look slimmer, you need to lose weight. DUH. hehehe)
" Since your cut is layered, if I cut it a little above the shoulders, it will fly away, is this ok with you?" (My answer: its Ok, I blow dry my hair everyday)
" Before I cut your hair, is this cut ok with you?" (showing me about 4 inches of rebonded hair)
" Next time, have your hair curled a little from the chin down. Straightened hair used to be the trend, but now its natural curls, different for every shape of face, and for every length."
He then proceeds to do his job. He snips with precision, touching my hair with his fingertips, parting it to one side, cutting it again, before parting it to the other side. He checks and rechecks to make sure I don't look like siopao, and I liked the fact that he made my hair from the back lighter because he cut the volume off by layering it some more. He turns me over to his assistant who blow dries my hair, and I see the transformation. I begin to smile.
Boss Allen (his namecard says this), goes back to see me, puts the finishing touches, a treatment to make my hair stay in place, and then its done. I look younger and more chic. Now my new hair tells me to shape up!
1 comment:
like your hair that way
Post a Comment