
Like many addictions,the habit starts with one looking in, wanting to try, but afraid to start lest one knows he can handle it. It started innocently, harmlessly for me, at a party where in one corner they were doing it. Before long, I was doing it, and got hooked. Surreptitiously, the need got stronger, and the wanting to outdo L became stronger and stronger. The need was like waves washing me ashore, waiting for the next big hit that would make me feel like a winner. I wanted to get all the words, especially all the 6-letter words that would showcase my (beginner) English skills. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, L's English, learned from his Tomasite (yes, the first American English teacher soldiers)- taught teacher/aunt, to who he owes his English and his love for books, is much stronger than mine.
While he was playing Boggle and reading books while growing up I was probably playing patintero, teks, and chato. Although L said he did all of those too, including biking, taking care of dogs, and much much more, my childhood is as masa as it can get, playing with my kababata along the streets of Sampaloc. I only took an interest in books when I got my period, thanks to my Lola's wonderful set of colored encyclopedia for children. That moment is a life-changing experience. At the onset, I felt I had to stay home and be more girl-y.
No comments:
Post a Comment