Monday, June 30, 2008

On Howie's Post: Thank You Darlene for Beating Pacquiao

I post a comment on Howie's post today. He thanked Darlene for beating Pacquiao, saving us Manny's energies on being a one of a kind champion fighter,instead of becoming one of those stars who got lost in politics without really contributing anything (and may,indeed have taken more,instead of giving).

Dear Howie,

Thanks for this point of view. Last night my friends and I were just debating how (in)appropriate it was for our politicians to be there in Vegas, while many of our countrymen needed help due to the typhoon. I argue that it is a fundamental right for an individual to have a choice-I would go too if I had the money and look up to Manny (and my best buds are going too), but public service may mean serving others first before thinking of our own wants. Should delicadeza be considered in this case- other politicians chose this by not being blatantly on camera while Manny was making his speech while politicians like Chavit who has no qualms about public perception was on cam the whole time. I was rejoicing for Manny while watching him being surrounded by a lot of Pinoys,but this picture stirred some questions.


In the end, and after reading your post today, this is my takeaway: Manny indeed is a phenomenon, and may be one of a kind, but I hope there will be many more like Darlene who will choose to support her countrymen here, where she is needed.

Thank you, mabuhay ka Howie!


P.S. Of course what I meant was, Darlene sponsored the pay per view in her hometown as still part of her politics, but in general, I hope more politicians would serve the country rather than corrupt our money and spend it in $20,000 per day villas in Vegas..

No comments: