
Day 1: Vigan
"We're now going to the Vigan" says Agnes, our tour guide, who seemed intimidated by the French couple who were earlier on complaining about our being late for the 9AM tour. We tell her it's ok, it's our vacation, and she should not let those foreigners get in the way of her spiels and her sunny disposition. So off the blabbers with (I assume) her usual line
"Did you have a heavy breakfast? Because this is going to be a long tour--"
"What is heavy, it's very subjective," interjects the male (French) spawn, shaking his head, as if to say this conversation is pointless. Agnes continues to engage him,
"We usually eat rice for breakfast. I used to work for a Frances (huh?)...in the industry(huh? what industry, I thought? Apparently she's finished her sentence).
"They eat French fries for breakfast," she boasts this information.
To this we all holler, and she insists that this is true. Whatever. Apparently Agnes is willing to believe anything; our supposed Muslim-French couple, we later find out, are Turkish non-Muslim expats who have been living in the Philippines and have visited more islands and provinces than the average Filipino.

From Fort Ilocandia, we drive through Ilocos Sur via Laoag, Paoay, Currimao, Badoc; a distance of over 50 kms, covered in an hour and a half drive. Along the way, we spot a man taking the road on a carabao, and uhmn..texting.

I wonder what Marcos, and many of his forefathers would say to this. Actually I wondered how come many famous (or infamous) men came from Ilocos, unlike our province of Aklan whose only claim to fame is Cardinal Sin.


Is it because Ilocos is steeped in history, with its revolution and many great heroes from a series of battles against the abusive spanish Augustinian friars? After all, this where Diego and Gabriela Silang, Gregorio Aglipay came from. Ilocos is the birthplace of Juan and Antonio Luna and Padre Jose Burgos, as well. Yes, maybe history has a way of telling the next generation not to forget its past, especially when the past is still standing, a full reminder of the blood shed by one's ancestors.
2 comments:
I hope you enjoyed your trip through Ilocos! Was that your first time going through the area? It's interesting that you point out that many famous/infamous Filipinos are from Ilocos. Perhaps it is the lineage of ancestors that had to fight for their people and the passion they have for their country that make Ilocanos rise above others.
Yes, Joanne, we enjoyed it immensely. In fact I still have to post Day 2 and 3 of our trip, but I got bogged down by the flu. Will post it soon.
Post a Comment